Thursday, March 22, 2012

Super Duper Gotta Love Dr. Seuss' Lorax (2012)

After having dinner with my big sis, we randomly go to the movies. Yup. This time we watch Dr. Seuss' Lorax, the movie I've been waiting since I watched its trailer on Youtube.

PLOT
Ted (Zac Efron), a 12 years old boy, has a crush towards Audrey (Taylor Swift), who has a dream to see a real trees grow in Thneedville again. 

Yup, real trees. Why? Because in Thneedville where they live, there are NO single tree grows. All of the vegetation are made by plastic, even bees. And for trees? Well, they have trees made by plastics or pretty much like street lamps, which you can change its leaves (lamp color) into spring, summer, autumn, or even Disco Ball theme.

Getting excited with Audrey statement that she probably will marry whoever bring the tree, Ted starts searching where he can find it. After a brief information by his granny (Betty White), Ted goes outside the village looking for Once-ler.

Once-let won't give the information about the last tree that easy. He demanded Ted to listen the stroy about him and Lorax, the grumpy spirits who once loves there, first. Then, he will give him the information. 

Like that's not hard enought. Ted's effort to have a real tree also gets even tougher because Mr. O'hare, an air mogul, doesn't like Ted being outside Thneedville.




MY THOUGHT


So, before I watched its 2012 version, I decided to listen to the audio book version first. Then, weeks later, at last the movie came to Indonesia!!! Of course there are some different between the book and the movie. However, both still make me wanna shout "WAY TO GO DR. SEUSS!!!!This is one of brilliant stories Dr. Seuss has ever made."

What I like about the movie:
  1.  They didn't erase the rhyme storytelling. Even the dialogue that has rhyme session in a book are here, too. That's why I get so excited while watching the movie. 
  2. They didn't erase the MAIN AND IMPORTANT SCENES. Unlike, Narnia 2, which they erase the most important scene (hiks).
  3. They add  new characters. Okay, when I first knew about this, I kinda mad and skeptical,too. I mean, as we all know, adding new characters to a movie based on book sometime will downgrade the movie. But, apparently ,not this one. Adding Mr. O'Hare turns out to be great. Well, at least for me. Why? Here's the thing, Mr. O'hare is a businessman who sells fresh air to Thneedville citizen. So it makes sense why up until the present no one even know the "real" world without tree. Also it adds the pressure for Ted whether he's willing enough to get the tree back to his village.
  4. The animation. Come on, it's bright, it has colorful scenes, it's fun, it's funny, and those bears and Lorax himself? !!!!They are so fluffy!!! I want to take them all to my house XD

Oh, of course about the story!!! I LOVE IT SO BAD!! The story is full of great messages. Like, keep your promise, don't take what's not yours,don't do harm for your personal advantage. Just think about how it affects other people before you ACT.

 For my self, the main message is about preserving our environment, especially about "industrial logging". This story remind us what will happen if we let greedy industries chop our forest without planting the new one. Or worse,if we let ourselves not caring about the environment.

I felt uber sad when I watched the scene about Once-ler became greedy and listened to his family about chopping down the tree so they could be rich. The thing was he didn't realize what's the impact from what he and his industry's done. Trufulla trees are important for living creatures in that forest. Once the tree chopped, bears and birds have no home and food. The  industrial waste makes the fishes went miserable. And worse, it affects people in the future. People has to buy fresh air to be able to breath decently and a kid who got glowing by swimming in polluted air. 

But, what I like about Once-ler is he felt remorse and regret of what he did. He wanted to make things right. This is one quality that's not possessed by some people.

Oh, there are memorable quotes, too:

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
Dr. Seuss, The Lorax 

“But now," says the Once-ler, "now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
Dr. Seuss, The Lorax  

“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.”
Dr. Seuss, The Lorax 

“It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become.”
Dr. Seuss, The Lorax 


  


Conclusion
I still don't get it why this movie has an average rating on IMDB.

For me,this is an animation that has deep message, but not boring at all.  The animation is awesome. The creatures are uber cute and fluffy. The story has the right amount of everything: puppy love, humor, drama, seriousness, and again FUN. I laughed and almost cried during the movie, then came home with a smile after watching it. :)

I totally recommend this to be watched.


No comments:

Post a Comment