Monday, February 13, 2012

Joan Loves.... Generosity Day

It February 14th already!!!


It's the day when  Al Capone did that horrible massacre.But not everyone aware of that, especially in Indonesia, I guess.


This is also the day when people love to call it as VALENTINE'S DAY.



It's the Day which loved by every single girl in the world who's in love. Either waiting to be treated romantically by her lover or the other way around. You know, like in Japan where every girl is so excited to prepare and  give a chocolate for her crush,lover,or simply just saying thank you to the people she knows.


It is  the day which single people love to HATE. You know, since you'll spend Valentine all alone because who you love doesn't know that you love him/her. The day which people call it as a way capitalism companies use to sell their products,like chocolates, flowers, dolls, candies,etc.


How about me? As a teenager who loves to read shoujo manga, I used to  use this day buying chocolate to my friends since I didn't have the courage to give it to my crush. But now,  I'm no longer that girl.


It's not that I oppose Valentine's day. I mean, wasn't this day made to commemorate St.Valentine who died because  he marry people? A man had died for uniting love. It's a sweet history.   So I get if people want to celebrate the day by sharing love with the people they love as a way to give a respect for what St. Valentine had done.



What I don't like is how people overeact on this particular day with such shallowness.  They acted so lovey dovey all of the sudden or get freaked out planning the romantic date. The also freaked out when they didn't receive  gifts from their lover.Or worse, when single people suddenly become more sensitive than usual and make "I Hate Valentine's Day" party. Just watch "Valentine's Day" for the complete examples.


So instead to celebrate it with cards, flowers,chocolate, or 'anti-valentine' party, let's reboot this Valentine Day. As for me, from now on, I would love to call this day as GENEROSITY DAY.


I Found this video on my subscription page and I agree with Jubille Project. Just watch it:







The video above is a response for this video :


[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oftICP0JQw8]


I agree than we can do so much better than giving a chocolate  or overpriced flower to show how much we love and care about people.


There's another better way to show it. The Jubilee Project  challenge us to take an action on this Generosity Day:



The Jubilee Project is celebrating Valentine's Day as Generosity Day, a day of sharing love with everyone. Let's make the day about love, action and human connection, because we can do more than just cards, chocolates and flowers.

There are many ways you can celebrate Generosity Day. One way is to pledge to say YES to everything. You can say YES to the homeless person asking for change, you can say YES without being asked (putting dishes in the dishwasher), you can say YES by looking someone in the eye and smiling, and you can say YES by asking how someone's day was.

By promising for just one day to say YES to everything, we can create a ripple effect of kindness, make a difference in our communities, and just might brighten someone's day.

Also why don't you enter its cause  on this very special day? Just visit http://www.causes.com/causes/646624-generosity-day/actions/1596456 and pick one as your pledge. I visited it and already picked one ;)


Happy Generosity Day, everyone !!

No comments:

Post a Comment