Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In Joan's Shoes (1) : The Meaning


Jadi ceritanya saya mau narsis sama nama saya XD...

For some who already read my post in "About the Blogger", you kinda recognize that it's not easy being Joan in Indonesia. Joan is not a common name here. And I used to hate my name because people seems can't spell my name right. It's always "Jo-wan" or "Jo-wen". Yeah at some point I got mad and wonder why My Mum gave me this name to me. Why can't she be like the other normal Indonesia Mother in the 90s who gave her daughter's name with more common western name. I mean, she gave my 2 sisters more common western name in Indonesia,which are Irene and Yolanda. Why couldn't she named me just with Christine,instead?

Well... as time goes by, I grow up, I found myself proud of my name because it's not common at all in here. I mean, there are lots and lots of Maria, Irene, Yolanda, Julia, Jane, but not Joan. And it turns out people named Joan can be uber awesome,too. So starting this week, I want to write a post which each week will introduce you a person whose name is same as I am, Joan. Either it's common people or public figure, guys or girls, I'll feature them in this blog :)


But before we get to know them, let's start with its meaning first .

So  I did some google-research (haha) and here are some  facts about my name:

  1. Joan is a feminine form of John in  the Middle Age, but not as popular as Jane in the 17th Century. Of course, there are men whose name are Joan, usually use by people speaks Spanish. Or  except, there's one celeb I knew.. Oh well,I'll post about it lain kali aja ya... (http://www.behindthename.com/name/joan-1)
  2. There are many meanings for Joan. In Hebrew, Joan means  "Gift from GOD". In English, Joan mean "GOD is gracious".   (http://www.meaning-of-names.com)
  3. It also has a religious meaning (or at least as I found in this web) Joan mean she's wise.
  4. As I mention before my name came from John. And boy, it's come a long way from "YAHWE", which we all know means "GOD". If you don't believe it, just click this link : http://www.behindthename.com/name/joan-1/tree
So my name doesn't sound as gracious like Guinevere or as beautiful like Angel, but I'm glad I got Joan as my name. When I learn to get familiar with how my name suppose to sounds like, I found my name  has this simple yet elegant vibe to it. It has simple four words, but came from a very  Great Personality. The meaning itself ,though it's not a hope in a form of adjective, it is a form of being grateful to God. And this is a lesson for me that I have to embrace my name. Since I am the gift from God, I have to be gracious and thankful in every step I made in my life.  

See, being named as Joan can be cool,too.
Peace out , y'all :)
Who's that cute little girl's name? Yeah, you got it. Her name is Joan ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment