Saturday, April 28, 2012

In Joan's Shoes (3) : Joan Baez

I'm back again with my "In Joan's Shoes" post, featuring people with the same name as I am, Joan.  Whether Joan is a guy, girl, famous, common, fiction, etc, I'll feature them in this brief post ;)

This week, meet JOAN BAEZ.


Born on January 9th 1941 in New York, Joan Baez is an American folk singer-songwriter. Not only a musician, she's also activist. She uses her music to send message about human rights,peace, and environmental justice, especially during the 60s.

The 1960s were a turbulent time in American history, and Joan Baez often used her music to express her social and political views. Her self-titled first album was released in 1960 and not long after its release she met the then-unknown singer-songwriter Bob Dylan.

In the early to mid-1960s, Joan Baez became an established folk artist as well as a voice for social change. She sang "We Shall Overcome" at the March on Washington in 1963 organized by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. In addition to supporting civil rights, Baez also participated in the antiwar movement, calling for an end to the conflict in Vietnam. Beginning in 1964, she would refuse to pay part of her taxes to protest U.S. military spending for a decade. Baez was also arrested twice in 1967 in Oakland, California, for blocking an armed forces induction center. Near the decade's end, her autobiography,
Daybreak (1968), was released.

Baez continued to be active politically and musically in the 1970s. She helped establish the west coast branch of Amnesty International, a human rights organization, and released numerous albums, including the critically acclaimed
Diamonds and Rust (1975). In addition to touring, she also performed at many benefits and fund-raisers for social and political causes around the world.  (from : http://www.biography.com/people/joan-baez-9195061)


 




If you asked me which one of her songs is my favourite up until now, my first answer would be "Donna, Donna". I first heard this song a long time ago. I remembered my uncle once hummed this song and my mother used to play it on cassete-player since she's so into the and 50s and 60s music (haha, ga heran kan kalau gue suka banget lagu jaman dulu XD).The song was so soothing and relaxing. I like sleeping while listening to "Donna, Donna". And of course.. the reason I love this song because its chorus. It seems it's really hard to get "Donna, Donna, Donna, Donna" melody out of my head.  Haha
Then, my second best would be "Altar Boy and the Thief". Here's a little trivia about this song. "Altar Boy and the Thief" is song dedicated to her gay fan based since she supports same sex relationship.

 
"Donna, Donna"

"Altar Boy and the Thief" a song dedicated to her gay fan based


Photo by Dana Tynan (2003)
Want to get to know more about the inspiring musician Joan Baez, visit her website: http://www.joanbaez.com

No comments:

Post a Comment